30 April 2020

A Sonnet a Day 3

That self same tongue which first did thee entreat
To link thy liking with my lucky love:
That trusty tongue must now these words repeat,
I love thee still, my fancy cannot move.
That dreadless heart which durst attempt the thought
To win thy will with mine for to consent,
Maintains that vow which love in me first wrought,
I love thee still and never shall repent.
That happy hand which hardely did touch
Thy tender body, to my deep delight:
Shall serve with sword to prove my passion such
As loves thee still, much more than it can write.
Thus love I still with tongue, hand, hart and all,
And when I chaunge, let vengeance on me fall.

This is by George Gascoigne, dated 1573. It's another one I can't really warm to. The technical expertise is obvious: the repetition and variation is well controlled while the use of alliteration is a bit over the top. Unlike many sonnets it's fairly clear in its intentions: it's a compliment to the beloved and an advertisement for the lover. I've tried hard to find double entendres and I think the "sword" in line 11 may obviously be one but it's a bit limp.

No comments: