27 February 2018

Nobel Prize winners

I'm starting a project to read and blog about books by winners of the Nobel prize for literature. Here are some initial thoughts and ground rules.


  1. I'm going to skip over winners where I've already read some of their books. This means, for example, that I won't be reading many of the British and Irish winners. (Britain and Ireland have done remarkably well in this award, by the way, usually prompting a response of utter indifference from the establishment in Britain at least. That's a shame; it's one thing Britain can still be proud of.)
  2. This means I'll probably be reading lots of books in translation ...
  3. ... and so I might skip over poets in a language I don't know at all (eg Tomas Tranströmer, the Swedish winner in 2011 and, I believe, a robot in disguise). I don't believe that "poetry is what gets lost in translation" but a huge part of my enjoyment of poetry comes from the way language is used abnormally - difference in register, syntactical quirks, etc - and that may not come across well.
  4. But I'll try to read French and Spanish books in the original.
  5. Generally I'll be working backwards, but it will depend on what I can find. It might be tricky to get hold of anything by Sully Prudhomme (1901) these days, but it will be a long time before I have to try.
I'm skipping over Kazuo Ishiguro (2017) and Bob Dylan (2016) and so I start with Svetlana Alexievich and her book Boys in Zinc.


No comments: